Just for fun really.
1. We want to hang out with weirdos like ourselves, people who write to still the voices in their heads, people who court monsters and aliens and the Fey, people who lament the loss of Firefly and yammer on about Doctor Who for hours. We want more of those kind of people around, even if we have to breed with each other and make them ourselves (maybe, especially then).
2. We want to horde a lot of useless useful information on this web thingy, inside the internet tubes, and in our own heads (to still the voices) so that everyone can write cooler stuff and actually see it in print some day.
3. We really want to get paid to write. No, really. We’re not joking.
4. We want more speculative fiction published right here in New Zealand. Recently, at a writer’s event, someone asked an award-winning New Zealand speculative fiction writer “What’s the best advice you can give an emerging New Zealand spec fic writer?” And her answer was, “Don’t publish in New Zealand.” We think that sucks.
5. We want to publish magazines and journals and anthologies, and even actual books of New Zealand speculative fiction right here in New Zealand. Impossible, you say? Well, some of us have already done it. And we’re not going to stop either. So there!
6. Can’t we all just get along?
7. We’re gonna rock this party association like it’s 1999.